The time has come for Thomas to say good-bye to the dummy. No doubt some would say that we have left it too long, however, the dummy has been a somewhat 'security' during the number of changes we have experienced over the past 12 months or so and I have never had the heart to take that away from him (that includes moving house 3 times, having a baby, having daddy away, travelling, camping and then starting pre-prep).
The night we talked about giving up the dummy was a sad night indeed. Thomas was not very keen on the idea so we mentioned that maybe we could give it to the dummy fairy. Thomas did not like this idea so as the tears fell we said 'not tonight but maybe sometime'. The following day we didn't take the dummy to school for his daytime sleep. I quickly mentioned it to him before we left him at school and he told me 'I am very sad about that'. I mentioned it to the teacher in case there was an issue at sleep time, however, she told me that he was very good and went to sleep well. She was great and reinforced that its OK not to have a dummy anymore, it just means that you are a big boy now. Thomas was out of sorts that afternoon and was reunited with his dummy at night time.
The next morning Thomas decided he wanted to give his dummy to the 'Dummy Fairy'. So, we tied some ribbon around it and Thomas chose a place to hang it - around the pool fence. Thomas sucked on the dummy while it hung around the fence and then asked me to leave! Thomas sucked on it again and said 'good-bye dummy', gave it a kiss and said 'I love you'. (WOW! I thought!)
When Thomas arrived home from school he discovered that the dummy fairy had left him a note and some lollies. He was very excited and shared his lollies with Zach.
Last night was the first night without the dummy and Thomas was a champ - no tears! A big boy now!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That is good to hear Rach. Amelie is so attached to her dummy that I dread the day we try and take it off her. I've told her that when she's three she can't use a dummy anymore... I think I'll try the dummy fairy idea too!
Rach, that's a beautiful story! LOVED it!
Little Thomas... all grown-up and dummy-less. (sniff sniff...)
What a fantastic story, I can just see Thomas standing there having one last suck of the dummy and saying good buy. This had us in fits of laughter!!!
Katherine
Post a Comment