Welcome to our blog! Due to our constant moving around we decided that we would like to use our blog as a means of keeping family and friends involved in our lives.
We will be updating it frequently so keep checking our blog and please leave comments so we know that you have visited!

Monday, August 4, 2008

5th Aviation Family Day

We had a wonderful day yesterday at the Regiment's family day, with Black Hawk and Chinook helicopter rides - the MRH90 was tucked away nicely in a hanger for onlookers to see! The Caribou was out on display along with the infantry vehicles, maintenance trucks and a fire engine.

With a doctor's certificate saying I was fit to fly, Matt and I went with Thomas and Zachy on a Chinook flight around Townsville. It was a great experience and the boys lapped it up. We had a preflight brief giving us the emergency drills by which stage I was wondering if I was actually fit to fly with the brace position being head down on your lap holding onto the seat - I can't even bend close to my lap anymore! The guys giving the briefs of course were adding in little bits like:
'You will need to secure your mobile phones, pens etc. because when the aircraft turns inverted they have a tendency to fall out." Ha Ha! The kids in the brief got in on the action and were asking various questions like:
"How will we land if we catch on fire?"
And when we were told that we need long sleeve tops, Thomas promptly and loudly stated "my Daddy doesn't have one on", followed by "neither does my Mummy!" This was true of the moment, but of course Matt had ensured we did have them with us. Only slightly embarrassing for one of the squadron bosses!

It was very exciting as we walked towards the aircraft, although we were blasted by the overwhelming hot engine fumes being blown towards us by the rotor blades, giving Thomas a fright and I must admit I found it hard to breath. Thomas tried to do the bolt just as Matt caught him by the waist and lifted him onto the aircraft! Thomas and Zach were great once they were seated on the aircraft. The Aircrewmen opened the hatch in the floor right in front of our seats so we could see the ground below and the back of the aircraft was also left open to give us a view as we traveled. Unfortunately, a little boy sitting opposite us was quite distressed at the floor being opened and as the tears streamed down his face you could see him mouthing "I want my daddy"!! The floor was then shut for the rest of the flight!

The boys enjoyed the jumping castle and climbing wall for the rest of the afternoon and we all enjoyed a great meal prepared by the chefs. We look forward to family day next year, and hopefully a ride in the MRH90!

No comments: